Harvesting of paddy which is a major crop of Punjab and is cultivated on an area of about 2.5 million hectares is mostly done by combines. The straw left by combines after harvesting paddy, is difficult to manage as incorporation of straw in the field is highly time consuming and required 6–7 operations. Therefore, fanners opt for burning of paddy straw for quick cleaning of field for sowing next wheat crop as it has limited use. The burning of straw not only causes environmental pollution but also leads to loss of rich organic matter. Thus to solve the problem of paddy straw management in the field, Deptt. of Farm Power and Machinery in liaison with a manufacturer M/s Dashmesh Mechanical Works, Amargarh has developed a tractor operated straw chopper cum spreading machine. The machine in a single operation harvest the stubbles left after combing, chop into pieces and spreads on the ground. The chopped and spreaded stubbles are then easily buried in the soil by the use of single operation of rotavator or disc harrow and decayed after irrigation. Subsequently, wheat sowing is done as usual by the use of strip till drill, no-till drill or traditional drill. Machine consists of a rotary shaft mounted with blades named as flail to harvest the straw and chopping unit consisting of knives. Machine is operated by 45 hp tractor and has 228 cm width of cut. Initial trials on the machine have shown highly encouraging performance. Size of chopped stubbles at flail speed of about 900 rpm and chopper speed of about 1500 rpm was found to vary between 7–10 cm. Cost of the machine is about Rs.40,000/-.
Never let anyone operate this unit without reading the "Safety Precautions" and "Operating Instructions" sections of this manual. Always choose hard, level ground to park the vehicle on and set the brake so the unit cannot roll.
The primary responsibility for safety with this equipment falls to the operator. Make sure the equipment is operated only by trained individuals that have read and understand this manual. If there is any portion of this manual or function you do not understand, contact your local authorized dealer or the manufacturer.
when servicing your product, remember to use only manufacturer replacement parts. Substitute parts may not meet the standards required for safe, dependable operation. Information may be obtained from the identification m plate located on the product. The parts department needs this information to insure that you receive the correct parts for your specific model.
Read manual prior to installation:-
- Improper installation, operation, or maintenance of this equipment could result in serious injury or death.
- Operators and maintenance personnel should read this manual, as well as all manuals related to this equipment and the prime mover thoroughly before beginning installation, operation, or maintenance.
Protect against flying Debris:-
Always wear proper safety glasses, goggles, or a face shield when driving pins in or out, or when any operation causes dust, flying debris, or any other hazardous material.
Do not modify machine or Attachments:-
Modifications may weaken the integrity of the attachment and may impair the function, safety, life, and performance of the attachment. When making repairs, use only the manufacturer’s genuine parts, following authorized instructions. Other parts may be substandard in fit and quality.
Safely maintain and repair equipment:-
- Do not wear loose clothing or any accessories that can catch in moving parts. If you have long hair, cover or secure it so that it does not become entangled in the equipment.
- Work on a level surface in a well-lit area.
- Use properly grounded electrical outlets and tools.
- Use the correct tools for the job at hand. Make sure they are in good condition for the task required.
- Wear the protective equipment specified by the tool manufacturer.
Safely operate equipment:-
- Do not operate equipment until you are completely trained by a qualified operator in how to use the controls, know its capabilities, dimensions, and all safety requirements. See your machine’s manual for these instructions.
- Keep all step plates; grab bars, pedals, and controls free of dirt, grease, debris, and oil.
- Never allow anyone to be around the equipment when it is operating.
- Do not allow riders on the attachment or the prime mover.
- Do not operate the equipment from anywhere other than the correct operator’s position.
- Never leave equipment unattended with the engine running or with this attachment in a raised position.
- Do not alter or remove any safety feature from the prime mover or this attachment.
- Know your work site safety rules as well as traffic rules and flow. When in doubt on any safety issue, contact your supervisor or safety coordinator for an explanation.
- Stones and other debris projected by the moving parts can travel a long distance. Always stay at a safe distance from the machine.
- Keep Away from the rotary elements and from the machine all the time the engine is running, the PTO is engaged and the rotors are running.
Remove paint before welding or heating:-
Remove paint before welding or heating. When sanding or grinding paint, avoid breathing the dust. Wear an approved respirator. If you use solvent or paint stripper, remove stripper with soap and water before welding.
Operating the paddy straw chopper:-
- Do not lift loads in excess of the capacity of the prime mover. Lifting capacity decreases.
- When operating on slopes, drive up and down, not across. Avoid steep hillside operation, which could cause the prime mover to overturn.
- Reduce speed when driving over rough terrain, on a slope, or turning, to avoid overturning the vehicle.
- An operator must not use drugs or alcohol, which can change his or her alertness or coordination. An operator taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs should seek medical advice on whether or not he or she can safely operate equipment.
- Before exiting the prime mover, lower the attachment to the ground, apply the brakes turn off the prime mover’s engine, and remove the key.
- Do not allow anyone to remain between the tractor and the unit while it is being coupled or uncoupled.
Transporting the paddy straw chopper mounted:-
When driving on public roads use safety lights, reflectors, and Slow Moving Vehicle signs etc.
To prevent accidents. Do not drive close to ditches, excavations, etc.
Stones and other debris projected by the moving parts can travel a long distance. Always stay at a safe distance from the machine.
Use only PTO shafts supplied with the machine recommended by the manufacturer.
Make sure that the PTO shaft guards and secured with the safety chains provided.
Do not wear loose clothing that could be caught in the rotating PTO shaft.Before removing or attaching the PTO shaft, or before doing any work on the machine, disengage the PTO drive, turn off the engine, remove the ignition key and wait for all the moving parts have come to a complete stop.Ensure that the PTO shaft is always correctly fitted and locked into place.Before connecting the PTO please ensures that the PTO speed and direction of rotating are in the line with manufacturer’s recommendation.
Things to be done for best performance of the Paddy Straw Chopper (Mounted):-
- Place check the soil moisture before use to the Paddy Straw Chopper (Mounted)
- The difference between blades to earth should be one & Half to two inches while field operation.
- Do not pull up the tractor left more, it can be effect on PTO shaft while working.
- Please check the rotor blade before operation in the field, if any damage please replace it.
- Always use grease to the bearings and PTO shaft.
- Tractor RPM should be 1700 to 1800 while working in the field.
- Ensure the working area before using the Paddy Straw Chopper (Mounted) in the field.
- You can adjust working height from rotary roller.
- After attached the tractor with machine, please ensure that the tractor PTO & machine PTO difference should be one to two inches.
- Please check all bolts and nuts before using the Paddy Straw Chopper (Mounted).
- Please do not touch any part while it’s working.
- Whenever you are going to start your work in the field, please ensure that, all the parts of the Paddy Straw Chopper (Mounted) are proper and in good conditions.
- When you have done your work please wash it and then store it.